Since Cinco de Mayo is quickly approaching, we here at Plaid wanted to share with you another project you can create for this occasion. Shake up some fun using these Floral ZigZag Maracas. One of our fabulous designers, Kindra Boroff created these maracas. These were made using FolkArt paint, FolkArt Extreme Glitter, and Mod Podge. This is an intermediate level craft that will take 2 hours to complete. Be the life of the party with these bright and festive maracas. Enjoy!
FolkArt Acrylic Paint: 2553 Lime Green, 2578 New Leaf Green, 412 Magenta, 660 Pure Gold
FolkArt Extreme Glitter: 2836 Champagne
Mod Podge: CS11305 4oz Matte
Plaid tools: 1534 1 ¼” Spouncer, 1” Flat
6” Paper mache eggs, Large dowel rods, Dried beans, Brown craft paper, Hot glue, Sandpaper, Scissors, Gloss Sealer
1. Cut the dowel rods into 2- 11” pieces. Sand the edge of one side to create a smooth handle.
2. Cut a hole into the bottom of the paper mache eggs and fill with dried beans. Add hot glue to the un-sanded end of the dowel rod, insert into the egg, attaching to the inside top of the egg. Hot glue around the hole of the egg and the dowel rod.
3. Cut pieces of craft paper and Mod Podge to the egg and the handle to create a finished look.
4. Base-coat the maracas with New Leaf Green. With the masking tape create a zigzag pattern as shown. Tape off thin stripes on the handles. Paint with Lime Green.
5. Remove tape and paint the flowers onto the maracas with Magenta. Add Pure Gold centers to the flowers. Add Champagne glitter to the centers.
6. Seal with gloss sealer.